Level 2 NVQ Controlling Lifting Operations – Slinging and Signalling Lifts (Construction)
Are you working as a Slinger/Signaller and are you now in a position where you would like to achieve an NVQ at level 2? We can arrange work based assessments to confirm your Slinger/Signaller competence and claim your NVQ which will generate the right CSCS card for you.
What you’ll learn
As an NVQ approved assessment centre, Apple Construction Training can offer NVQ on site assessment (OSAT) to those of you who have underpinning qualifications or who have been working within the Slinger/Signaller industry for less than 5 years and who have reached a level of competence which falls in line with NVQ Occupational Standards.
OSAT: NVQ Route – On Site Assessment for Slinger/Signaller with less than 5 years’ experience
If you have underpinning qualifications or have spent less than 5 years Slinger/Signaller, there is a route to achieving NVQ level 2.
We have our own Assessors and Internal Verifiers, all of whom are City & Guilds and Construction Skills approved. As long as you are working within the >Slinger/Signaller Industry, we can come and assess you on site.
In order to qualify and register for this Slinger/Signaller NVQ, the following criteria must be met:
- You must work within a 80 mile radius of Reading – Postcode: RG7
- You will need to be employed in a role that is related to Slinger/Signaller
These qualifications (NVQs) focus on practical skills and knowledge. Developed and approved by people who work in the industry, they are a great way to get into construction or to boost your career by developing new skills and knowledge through the assessment of work based competence.
How you’ll learn
Slinger/Signaller NVQ Assessment process
The process will start with an interview between you and your assessor whereby an action plan and timetable will be drawn up.
You will be required to gather and record evidence as indicated on your assessment plan and you would benefit from a work based recorder (Supervisor or foreman); this will help to confirm work which you have undertaken which an Assessor was unable to be present at.
Assessments will be at your work place whereby we will be observing you at work Slinger/Signaller; we will examine and discuss any evidence you have provided. An assessor will sign off completed units, where sufficient quality and quantity has been provided, any shortfalls of evidence will be discussed and any training requirements identified. In between visits, you will continue to generate further evidence.
The units required to achieve 600/9043/1 NVQ Diploma in Controlling Lifting Operations Slinger/Signaller are:
- D/615/4938: Attaching and Preparing Suspended Loads for Movement Using Lifting Accessories in the Workplace
- H/615/4939: Guiding, Positioning and Placing Suspended Loads in the Workplace
- Y/508/6533: Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace
- T/508/6538: Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace
- M/508/6537: Conforming to General Health , Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
There is no time scale on achieving a Slinger/Signaller NVQ. If your line of work allows, NVQs can be achieved in a relatively short space of time however, if the Slinger/Signaller work you are doing is restricted or repetitive, the NVQ process can take longer because the opportunity to meet all of the required NVQ units will not be available to you.
Courses open to you after
Once you have achieved NVQ level 2 via this route, you may wish to consider being assessed on-site to achieve level 3 at a later date.
OSAT for Employers
OSAT is a method of delivering NVQs for experienced workers within the Construction Industry which meets the needs of both the industry and individuals.
Programmes are designed to assess individuals in their normal working environment as the focus is on what individuals do in their normal working environment so therefore the benefit to Companies are:
- There is no downtime because Slinger/Signaller Assessments are carried out on site
- More qualified and competent employees generate a higher quality product
- Employees complete work faster and waste less time correcting mistakes
- Creates greater awareness of health and safety issues which means there are fewer accidents
The benefits to individuals are:
- Helps workers achieve vital skills so they achieve CSCS cards quickly and easily
- Takes account of existing skills so workers only train towards the things they don’t know how to do
- Achieves Slinger/Signaller qualifications to show to potential customers
OSAT and CSCS
An increasing number of companies, contractors and clients are looking for operatives and employees to prove their competence via the CSCS card and working towards or achieving the Slinger/Signaller NVQ will allocate the following:
Red Card – EXPERIENCED WORKER – Registration will take place at profiling stage and as long as you sit/have sat a Construction Skills health and safety test, this card will be generated. The card is issued on a temporary basis, while the NVQ is being achieved. The card is valid for one year and is non-renewable. An Experienced Worker Card cannot be replaced by a Construction Site Operative or a Basic Skills Green Card.
Blue Card – SKILLED WORKER – You will qualify for a blue skilled card once you have successfully completed the EWPA process and achieved the NVQ level 2
All applicants must pass the Construction Skills health and safety test.